Thursday, December 15, 2011

A South Ken kind of day

This morning I woke up with a long list of to-do's in the South Ken neighborhood. I met a Sotheby's cohort at the Christie's South Kensington showroom to watch the 20th Century British Art sale, and we went to grab coffee after a few hours of observing some serious paddle-raising and pound-spending. After a quick caffeine fix I headed to the Victoria and Albert Museum one last time before I hop a plan home on Monday--there was a talk about conservation of new acquisitions to the museum's permanent collection that I wanted to hear today.

The best part of the day was stumbling into a used bookstore on my walk back home. Right around the corner from the South Ken tube station is a used bookstore with the organization and rolling collection to rival even Raven Used Books in Harvard Square (http://www.ravencambridge.com/). After about an hour of scouring the shelves, from art to biography to fiction and non, I fell across Fitzgerald's Dreams of Youth for 4GBP. That's right, Christmas come early for this girl! So now I have four days and a flight home to kill 600 pages of perfect first-hand prose. Looks like London will have to wait until after Christmas, because my calendar just filled up...

Few things make me happier than to be curled up with a hot cup of coffee and some unread pages that smell like a library when you flip the cover open. Cheers to the end of semester one!




No comments:

Post a Comment