Who, me? One of my great travel inspirations is my adventurous and oh-so-admirable Aunt P, who is coming to visit me here in London one month from today (while on her way to South Africa)! So excited to begin my first of many countdowns! Aunt P has been absolutely everywhere. And I mean everywhere. I think she started when she was a poor, meager undergraduate, crossing the same pond and interning for her poli-sci degree in Parliament. She always brings back fabulous gifts from the far corners of the earth, making me dream of the day when I'll eventually put my brain to use...find, at the very least, psuedo-stability, financially speaking...and start really living the international dream. Thanks, Aunt P...my ever-empty wallet's really thanking you for the genetic addiction...good thing you also taught me how to be resourceful! I'm already working on our itinerary for my anticipated favorite three days in October!
Travel is at the brink of my brain today because we got our notice for our program trips this morning. In October, I'll see my first live auction outside of the London auction house, and our program will travel to Chatsworth House in Derbyshire for a sculpture sale (http://www.chatsworth.org/attractions/sculpture). Umm, yes, please.
In November, we'll be traveling to Italy for a week to attend the Venice Biennale (http://www.labiennale.org/en/Home.html), followed by the Artissima Art Fair in Turin (http://www.artissima.it/index.php?lang=_en)! This past summer when Aunt P all-too-graciously hosted the family in Italy, we went to Venice for the first time. Oh. My. God. Aside from Beantown (which gets the golden-child-treatment), I tend to treat cities like my parents treated SMN and I--never any favorites. But I had a hard time not pushing Venice to the top of my "non-existent" list...it was like nothing I had ever seen before. I'm all too thrilled to go back! And while back in July M tried to corral us into the Fiat for the 6-hour trek to Turin to no avail, I know he'll be happy to see me finally make it to those Alps.
In March we board another plane for Maastricht in the Netherlands, where we have access to the European Fine Art Fair (http://www.tefaf.com/--insert innumerable exclamation points here!). I think I'm even more excited about this trip, as I would never even think to explore the possibility of the Netherlands on Expedia. The 30 London students will meet the 50 students that are in our sister program right now in the Big Apple. This will be our first, and probably only, opportunity to talk to these students and compare the courses, figuring out who our competition is across continents!
My list aside from those places is pretty short. I'm hoping to get back to Scotland, and over to France. Aside from that, pass on the tried and true suggestions!!! I'm open to any and everything, and trying to spend that hard-earned, much-tainted, EF cash!I'm reading through my unrequited, love-hate Kerouac relationship with On the Road right now, so I'll leave you here! "There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars..."
Happy hump-day everyone!
Sounds like you are having so much fun... I'm so jealous!! Wish I were there with you... call sometime! I miss you! :-) Love- J
ReplyDelete