Sunday, September 18, 2011

Miss America

No, no, this isn't about Miss America, it's about what I'm missing about America. But, while we're on it, did you SEE what Miss America wore last week as her national costume in the Miss Universe pageant? In case you were wondering what to wear on The Fourth next year (or in case CMS was wondering what to wear on any day of the week that ended in "Y")...a little inspiration for you. Screaming stars and stripes, loud and proud!

But yes, so what I'm missing about America. Fall is far and away my favorite season. No it's winter. No it's summer. I don't know, I love all three. See? I'd be hard pressed to be placed anywhere else in the world outside of New England. I CAN tell you with complete confidence that I do know it's not Spring. Fall is just so nostalgic for me, with the days getting slightly shorter and the thermometer dropping to the 40's at night, my mind fills with minutes and moments of packed soccer stadiums, homecoming parades and weekends filled with baking apples into any sort of crust or cookie with J. London has an exceptionally extended fall (which has already started), which means 3 things: I can dive headfirst into breaking out my boots, stop drinking iced coffee, and pretend to care about the Patriots from a continent away (Yes, I'll be heading to the Sports Cafe at 9:30 tonight. No, I still don't care about football, but it's a great excuse for a pint of Carlsberg on a Sunday!).

While I'm happy to have fall a little ahead of America, these are some things I'm already missing about being away from the Bean when the leaves start to turn red and yellow:


Boston Lobster Festival in the South End with these fresh faces! All you can eat lobbies and sweater weather? Yeah, I miss that.

Harpoon Pumpkin...if this ain't a reason to be homesick, I don't know what is.


Fenway Fridays...what I'd give for a BL from the Cask and a Sweet Caroline sing-a-long about now...

There's something about pumpkin coffee that just makes it easier to wake up on a Wednesday...


Head of the Charles regatta...walks on the Charles...a sail on the Charles...a run on the Charles...THE Charles...


The Boston back-to-school rush, when the town fills up and the buses run late.


St. Anthony's Feast...trying to squeeze in the last of the white and bright before corduroy and khaki set in for the fall.

To finish up my weekend, I'm off to Hyde Park for a game of kickball with some of the girls...which I'm sure will turn to sloshball, with the ugly black clouds quickly closing in on the London skyline. Hope you had the best kind of weekends!

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel any better at all--our first official week of fall here is going to be rain, rain and more rain, just like your least favorite season--spring!

    Fall is my favorite too (I grew up in Western MA!) and so I loved recounting all your Beantown fall faves!

    Hope you're loving London!

    xo, Erika
    http://shoeshirtsandothersht.com/

    ReplyDelete